Low Back Pain Causative factors-
Intake of Vata aggravating food
- Lack of nutrition
- Weight lifting
- Long walk
- Wrong postures of sitting or sleeping
- Excess sexual indulgence
- Suppression of natural urges
- Work exhaustion
Back Pain Clinical features-
It reflects as persistent pain in the back ranging from a dull ache to a sharp stabbing pain to a burning sensation. It may also present with stiffness and loss of motility, numbness or tingling with pain shooting down the buttocks, back of thighs, and the legs and feet.
Ayurvedic Line of back pain treatment –
The general principles of management of Vata dosha are adopted in Katishoola which include the following –
- Dietary regimen to reduce Vata dosha
Inclusion of warm, freshly cooked whole grains, drumsticks, garlic, ghee, dry ginger and warm water and avoiding bitter, astringent, pungent food, raw salads, cold water prolonged standing, driving, and stress.
- Lifestyle changes
Correction of postures, having a good mattress, massaging the back with Vata pacifying oils followed by hot fomentation, having adequate rest, doing yoga for backache altogether makes a big difference.
- Herbal formulations
Single hers such as Ashwagandha, Garlic, Eranda( Castor oil),Rasna, Shunthi( dry ginger),Ajmoda, Haritaki, and Nirgundi are very effective. Compound formulations such as Kishore Guggulu, Yograj Guggulu, Dashmula kwath, Sahacharadi kashaya help a lot in reduction of inflammation.
Snehana( pouring hot oil ), Abhyanga(oil Massage),Kati Vasti ( retaining medicaments on the back) ,Nadi swedana( tubular sudation), pinda swedana(Bolus sudation),mild purgation, Basti( medicated enema) etc. are different kinds of modalities.
About Kati vasti-
Kati vasti is a treatment in which medicated warm oil is pooled for a fixed duration of time in a compartment over the low back area using black gram flour dough.
It is highly beneficial in backache due to muscle sprain, lumbar spondylosis, sciatica, sacroiliac joint pain, disc bulge, coccydynia, intervertebral disc prolapse, spondylolisthesis, spina bifida, etc.
The results are simply amazing.
Some Tips to Reduce Back Pain
- Sit straight to decrease tension in the lower back.
- Stay warm. Avoid wandering outside in cold.
- Apply any vatashamak oil or liniment over the affected area followed by hot water bottle sudation.
- Use a lumbar belt during prolonged sitting or standing.
- Lie on your back on the floor and put a pillow under your knees to reduce tension in the back.
- Rest your legs on the chair while you are lying on the mat making an angle of 90 degrees at the hip and knees for 10 minutes.
- Avoid weight lifting and bending forward.
- Take a warm water shower.